Monday, July 1, 2013

Drunken Live Karaoke

For dinner, we decided to leave the Westin, and head to a nearby outdoor mall called the Bali Collection. Leslie and I have visited on each of our previous three trips to Bali, and have enjoyed the range of shops and restaurants. Liam, tired from the sun and without the crutch of having an afternoon nap, moaned the entire time. He just wanted to eat dinner and be done with it. The girls (Leslie and Lily) wanted to do some window shopping, so Liam and I partook in a fish pedicure. Pretty cliché in Asia, it's a foot bath in an aquarium full of these little tiny fish that get off on nibbling the dry skin off of the legs and feet of the person submersing them in the water. It's a strange, tickly sensation that either you love, hate or simply endure. Fortunately, Liam had fun with it. A good way to kills 20 minutes for 100,000 IDR each ($10US).

After we finished, we caught up with the girls (whom, I later learned, secreted some ice cream from a nearby vendor), and headed to a restaurant in which Leslie and I have dined on each of our previous trips. A tapas and Churrascuria establishment, they offer a bottomless selection of meats served right at the table (I was the only one to order this). However, and more importantly, they feature a local band that specializes in Latin and Spanish music, but also, in order to pander to the predominant tourist host countries, sang Japanese, Korean (Gangnam Style, natch), and Russian tunes.

Early on, little kids joined the band, dancing and basically moving around on stage. Later, couples came up to dance and the singer went into the crowd to get tourists to sing along in their native languages. Now I, having downed two liters of sangria, actually approached the band (in my drunken state) and proffered to sing 'The Girl from Ipanema" - the catch being that I was drunk enough to volunteer to sing in the native Portuguese (where the song is called "Garota de Ipanema"). Much to Leslie's simultaneous delight and horror, and with a sweet ass buzz killing any inhibition I may have otherwise endured, I jumped on stage and proceeded to butcher the song. Not the words, mind you, but I'm pretty sure I was well out of tune.

Unfortunately, since Liam was tired and the kids were generally whining about hanging out so long in one place (they don't appreciate the art or chilling at their age) we sent them back to the hotel in a taxi (all of a two minute ride). This was, unfortunately, before my drunken live Karaoke performance.

When I paid the bill, we headed to the taxi stand. The place was overrun by tourists waiting to find some way back to their hotels (many of which are within a 2-10 minute drive from the Bali Collection). We were having none of that, so in asking a local about getting a taxi, he said he'd take us as long as we tipped him. Now tipping for services rendered, I have no problem with. It turns out he drove the hotel shuttle that carries passengers to and fro the local Nusa Dua hotels (in fact, we stuffed ourselves in one going there from the hotel. Basically a pickup tuck, with a covered bed and benches lining each side, it ain't luxury by any means. Wanting to get back without dawdling and waiting for a cab we agreed.

The funniest part, the moment that we both laughed fully out loud, was when we were pulling away from the mall (mind you, in a public shuttle that runs every 15 minutes or so, not on demand). Several people were waving, trying to get the driver's attention as we pulled away. Our driver zoomed onto the main road, leaving them into the dust.

When I was in my 20s, I'd wait hours to save a dollar. Now in my middle age, I am more than willing to pay for immediate and exclusive service. When we arrived at the Westin (again, a whole 2 minutes later), I tipped the driver 50,000 IDR (around $5), and we laughed, revisiting those people's futile signals for the driver to stop.

It seemed like a late night for us, but we were back at the hotel by 9pm. So sad - the days of staying up well into the wee hours are long gone - I just love my sleep too much.

Anyway, I thought anyone reading this would get a kick out of our night out.

P.S. I'm still pretty buzzed from the two pitchers of Sangria.


From the archives - A Swiss Couple (with whom I'm still Facebook friends) dancing at Pico Tapas restaurant in Nusa Dua - the location of my drunken singing
 

1 comment: