Monday, July 1, 2013

Bozinny the Expat? A Possibility

Way back in November, I applied for a job, managing a Product Quality Operations team in Hyderabad, India. Having visited India on five different occasions, and having fallen in love with the culture and people, I thought it a great opportunity to explore potential employment in one of the few countries whose time zone falls on the half hour (when it's midnight in Seattle, it's 12:30pm in India). At the time, with me being a complete unknown quantity, I was passed over.

Fast forward to April of this year.

I interviewed for a role down in Google's Mountain View HQ. I had several phone interviews, then was finally invited for onsite interviews. Lasting a good four hours, I had the pleasure of meeting a group of really smart, very friendly folks who really dig the Google culture, and upon further examination, I found quite a contrast between Google and Microsoft's back stabbing guised as 'relationship building' culture.  My interviews went really good, having connected with all the folks with whom I met. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, my sources tell me it was a squeaker of a decision - I was passed over for someone with a bit more experience.

That said, my recruiter told me that the interview process feedback was very positive, and if I were to find another Google opportunity that may make a good fit, she'd help me pass along the feedback from the interview process.

Out of the blue, the recruiter in India called me and set up a video conference interview with someone who would be my peer, should I get the role. While in Singapore, well into our vacation, and while the family was off keeping busy out of the room (and my hair), I spent a good hour on the phone with this person. We had a great conversation, she asked good questions, and I felt I supplied good answers.

Fast forward to the following week, and the Google recruiter has managed to set up a second video interview with the director of the group in India. Of course, being on vacation, I was in the pool all morning, and to prepare for my 1:30pm video interview, I dried off and styled my hair as best as possible with some of my patented strong hold hair gel.

Now, this guy with whom I talked was much more direct. Sure, we enjoyed some idle chit chat - he shared that he was heading on vacation to Krabi, Thailand soon (of course, having just arrived from there, we had a few moments of exchanging notes on the area). He started with some management questions, regarding my experience as a manager, and my style as a manager. Then he dove into some functionally specific examples. As soon as I had finished answering those (and I admit, I took some time thinking through the issue), he mentioned that his questions were finished. I followed up with a few basic questions, then ended the call.

Boy, was my afternoon ruined. I was so stressed about the call. This guy (as opposed to the women with whom I talked on the first video conference) was direct, and tough to read. I couldn't tell if he thought I was an idiot, or if he was planning to report back that I warranted further consideration.

Heading to the pool after that, I found myself in a haze. The joy of vacation was momentarily put on hold as I analyzed the call in retrospect, and pondered the chances of my advancing through the process. However, after a few hours, I slipped back into vacation mode, much to the relief of my family, who could sense the negative, stressful energy radiating off of me those few hours.

And yes, this job is in Hyderabad, India. I've always wanted to work abroad, and in my five visits to India (2x in Hyderabad, 2x in Mumbai and once in Bangalore), I fell in love with the people, the culture and the climate. I think it would be an exciting experience, and surely a good resume builder.

Next steps? I'll ping the recruiter in a few days, hoping for some positive feedback and direction on next steps. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy these strong trade winds washing over Nusa Dua's east coast with my family



Hyderabad Traffiic

Charminar

Qutb Shahi Tombs
 

2 comments:

  1. If that's of any consolation, I was myself on holidays when inteerviewing for Microsoft. My sandy feet still in flip flops but hidden under the table during the Skype interview, I was still surrounded by surfboards (nice background eh?)... It worked! All the best dear Eric! And focus on the holidays, will ya? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete